Whether you head to a salon or do it yourself at home, who doesn't love a gel manicure? I mean, between the high shine, the lasting colour, the quick drying, how could we not? But shelling out every few weeks for an in-salon treatment (plus the inevitable removal) isn't just expensive, it can also be pretty damaging for your nails.
In fact, experts are now claiming that you could even be allergic to your acrylic nail habit.
Dr Preethi Daniel, Clinical Director at London Doctors Clinic, said there's a rise in people reacting to their gel manicure and has shared the tell-tale signs with GLAMOUR.
According to Dr Daniel, nail reactions are the second most common reaction to cosmetics, behind hair dye. British Association of Dermatologists did an audit of several allergy centres and say 2.4% of those tested had a sensitivity to some type of methacrylate chemicals commonly found in gel polishes.
This woman developed skin cancer after biting her nails for years
She said: "A base coat, polish, top coat, UV light - et voila, you have a beautiful gel manicure that is going to last you two weeks or more! But wait, why is your nail bed warm, tingly, red, sore, flaky? Could it be an allergic reaction?
"Not only will this allergen give a local reaction to the nails and fingertip skin if you have a sensitivity, it can also cause a skin reaction or lip reaction if you were to touch your skin/face with this gel polish on."
Dr Daniel says that if you suspect an allergic reaction, ask the salon to remove it immediately, wash your hands and use a good emollient and take antihistamines. "Seek medical help if things aren't settling and consider allergy testing to cosmetics if it is a recurrent problem," she added.
You've been warned!