Shade, tone, coverage, finish - there's a lot to consider when it comes to picking your favourite foundation. Add in different skin concerns (oily, dry, combo, spot, pigmentation, redness) and it can be a tall order to find a solution that serves all of your needs. In fact, many of us spend years searching and, if we're honest, still don't feel like we've found 'The One'.
In fact, a recent survey from Revlon ColorStay Foundation has revealed that 1 in 10 women (11%) say that finding their perfect foundation is as important as finding their perfect partner - and we're inclined to agree with them.
So we've made it our mission to help you on your way to finding your foundation soulmate, rounding up an edit of the best in the business by price, coverage, finish and shade range before delivering our verdict on its overall performance.
And now that the weather is heating up, don't forget to check out the best SPF makeup to up your levels of UV protection for the summer months ahead.
Once you've selected your perfect foundation from the list below, make sure you peruse our genius hacks for applying your cosmetic of choice like an absolute pro.
6 pro tips to always remember:
- If you are buying for everyday wear, perhaps keep the coverage a little lighter or go for a tinted moisturiser and then use one of our best concealers to target any areas in need of extra coverage.
- Choose three shades you think are a close match, swiping all three side-by-side down your cheek towards your jawline. The shade that seemingly disappears, wins.
- Step outside and check the shade in natural light.
- Have a foundation for when you're tanned (even if it's fake tan!), and one for when you go weeks without sun.
- If you have oily skin, try prolonging the wear of your foundation with a primer or setting with a lightweight powder.
- If your foundation is applying streaky, ditch your brush and try using a beauty blender or your fingers to apply. Both will produce a more diffused finish.
If you want create a more sheer finish with your foundation, the experts at Morphe have some tips. "Not everyone may like a foundation that is so full-coverage; so to make it more sheer you can mix 1-2 drops of face oil into your foundation before applying. You can also use a stippling brush for a lighter application,". Genius!